S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard

Your Resource for mathematics help on the web!
It is currently Thu, 31 Jul 2014 06:21:27 UTC

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:56:49 UTC 
Member of the 'S.O.S. Math' Hall of Fame

In statistics, given some sample data, one typically wants to get estimates of variance and other statistical quantities. Since the mean is usually unknown the sample average is used to get the estimates for these items. In that case a correction is needed to get an an unbiased estimate.

For the variance, when averaging the squares of the the differences between the sample values and the sample average, a correction n/(n-1) must be applied to get an unbiased estimate.

For the third central moment the factor is n^2/[(n-1)(n-2)].

I guess the general formula for the kth central moment factor would be (n-k)!n^k/n!

Has this been derived and is there a neat way to do it? I used brute force to get the second and third moments.

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 14:50:33 UTC 

Try a search for "U-statistic", for example, the article at U-statistics gives a fairly decent explanation. "Neat" is in the eye of the beholder, but the short answer to your question is "yes".

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:11:42 UTC 

raortega3 wrote:
The first portion of your question is referring to parameter estimation.

When you refer to the variance, I'm not sure if this is what you were implying but it isn't the 2nd moment.

Variance(x) = E(x^2) - E(x)^2, where E(x^2) is the 2nd moment.

Is say this because you at first talk about parameter estimation and move to moments.

The variance is the second CENTRAL moment. The question I was asking was about central moments.

Central moment means moment around the mean.

PostPosted: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:19:22 UTC 

royhaas wrote:
Try a search for "U-statistic", for example, the article at U-statistics gives a fairly decent explanation. "Neat" is in the eye of the beholder, but the short answer to your question is "yes".

Although the article appears to give the result for the second central moment, I didn't see anything about higher moments.

PostPosted: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:17:35 UTC 

My conjecture is wrong. The fourth central moment estimate includes the square of the second central moment.

PostPosted: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:09:07 UTC 

Location: On this day Taiwan becomes another Tiananmen under Dictator Ma.
mathematic wrote:
My conjecture is wrong. The fourth central moment estimate includes the square of the second central moment.

Indeed, if m_r=\frac{1}{n}\sum (X_i-\bar{X})^r is the r-th sample central moment and \mu_r=\mathbb{E}(X_i-\mu)^r is the r-th (population) central moment, then
\begin{aligned}
m_1&=0\\
\mathbb{E}m_2&=\frac{n-1}{n}\mu_2\\
\mathbb{E}m_3&=\frac{(n-1)(n-2)}{n^2}\mu_3\\
\mathbb{E}m_4&=\frac{(n-1)[3(2n-3)\mu_2^2+(n^2-3n+3)\mu_4]}{n^3}\\
\mathbb{E}m_5&=\frac{(n-1)(n-2)[10(n-2)(n-3)\mu_2\mu_3+(n^2-2n+2)\mu_5]}{n^4}
\end{aligned}
(assuming X_i are independent identically distributed such that all relevant moments exist)

Here is a quick way to derive them (and all higher ones too): Let X_1,X_2,\dots,X_n iid L^\infty-random variables, Y_i=n(X_i-\bar{X})=(n-1)X_i-\sum_{j\neq i}X_j. Then Y_1,Y_2,\dots are identically distributed, and so taking expectation, you get \mathbb{E}m_r=\frac{1}{n^{r+1}}\sum\mathbb{E}Y_i^r=\frac{1}{n^r}\mathbb{E}Y_1^r. But Y_1 is a sum of independent random variables, so its moment generating function is just the product of individual m.g.f.s:
\begin{aligned}
M_{Y_1}(t)&=M_{X_1}((n-1)t)M_{X_2}(-t)\cdots M_{X_n}(-t)\\
&=M((n-1)t)M(-t)^{n-1}\\
&=\tilde{M}((n-1)t)\tilde{M}(-t)^{n-1}
\end{aligned}
where \tilde{M} is the central moment generating function of X_1: \tilde{M}(t)=\mathbb{E}\exp((X_i-\mu)t)=e^{-\mu t}M(t). So differentiate away (using (generalised) Leibnitz rule) and set t=0. Finally, use density to go from L^\infty to L^r.

Edit: correct signs.

Spin(3)&=Sp(1)=SU(2)&&\text{by }q\mapsto(\mathop{\mathrm{Im}}\mathbb{H}\ni p\mapsto qp\bar{q})\\
Spin(4)&=Sp(1)\times Sp(1)&&\text{by }(q_1,q_2)\mapsto(\mathbb{H}\ni p\mapsto q_1p\bar{q_2})\\
Spin(5)&=Sp(2)&&\text{by }\mathbb{HP}^1\cong S^4_{round}\hookrightarrow\mathbb{R}^5\\
Spin(6)&=SU(4)&&\text{by the irrep }\Lambda_+\mathbb{C}^4
\end{aligned}

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 01:26:10 UTC 

outermeasure wrote:
mathematic wrote:

Indeed, if m_r=\frac{1}{n}\sum (X_i-\bar{X})^r is the r-th sample central moment and \mu_r=\mathbb{E}(X_i-\mu)^r is the r-th (population) central moment, then
\begin{aligned}
m_1&=0\\
\mathbb{E}m_2&=\frac{n-1}{n}\mu_2\\
\mathbb{E}m_3&=\frac{(n-1)(n-2)}{n^2}\mu_3\\
\mathbb{E}m_4&=\frac{(n-1)[3(2n-3)\mu_2^2+(n^2-3n+3)\mu_4]}{n^3}\\
\mathbb{E}m_5&=\frac{(n-1)(n-2)[10(n-2)(n-3)\mu_2\mu_3+(n^2-2n+2)\mu_5]}{n^4}
\end{aligned}
(assuming X_i are independent identically distributed such that all relevant moments exist)

Here is a quick way to derive them (and all higher ones too): Let X_1,X_2,\dots,X_n iid L^\infty-random variables, Y_i=(n-1)X_i-\sum_{j\neq i}X_j. Then Y_1,Y_2,\dots are identically distributed, and so taking expectation, you get \mathbb{E}m_r=\frac{(-1)^r}{n^{r+1}}\sum\mathbb{E}Y_i^r=\frac{1}{(-n)^r}\mathbb{E}Y_1^r. But Y_1 is a sum of independent random variables, so the moment generating function is just the product of individual m.g.f.s:
\begin{aligned}
M_{Y_1}(t)&=M_{X_1}((1-n)t)M_{X_2}(t)\cdots M_{X_n}(t)\\
&=M(t)^{n-1}M((1-n)t)\\
&=\tilde{M}(t)^{n-1}\tilde{M}((1-n)t)
\end{aligned}
where \tilde{M} is the central moment generating function of X_1: \tilde{M}(t)=\mathbb{E}\exp((X_i-\mu)t)=e^{-\mu t}M(t). So differentiate away (using (generalised) Leibnitz rule) and set t=0. Finally, use density to go from L^\infty to L^r.

Thanks - this is what I was looking for in the first place.