S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard

Your Resource for mathematics help on the web!
It is currently Thu, 24 Jul 2014 05:14:03 UTC

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:12:12 UTC 

1. There are ten players in a basketball team. The team decides to have a group photo taken and they are supposed to arrange themselves in two rows of five. Find the different number of arrangements if the captain must stand between the two youngest players in the same row.

My answer = 8! X 2 = 80640.

(Group the captain and youngest players together as one unit, 2 ways of arranging youngest players, 8! ways of arranging 8 units.)

But the answer given is 60480. Similar digits, so I was wondering if it's just a printing error? Or am I wrong?

Also, I want to ask: does the fact that they are arranged in two rows affect the number of arrangements? Personally, I don't think so, but I want to check. Thanks.

2. The digits of the number 3215463 are rearranged. If the first and last digits must be different, find how many such numbers must be odd.

My method: find no. of arrangements where last digit is odd (1, 3, 3, 5) and subtract number of arrangements where first and last digits are the same (where number starts with 3 and ends with 3).

Answer = 4C1 X 6! - 5! = 2760.

But the answer given is 1320. Can someone help me out here!

Also, I want to ask - when you have non-distinct entities (in this case 3 and 3) do you still put 4 choose 1 when selecting a last digit that is odd? Because 3 and 3 are essentially identical.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:19:52 UTC 

Location: On this day Taiwan becomes another Tiananmen under Dictator Ma.
thesocialnetwork wrote:
1. There are ten players in a basketball team. The team decides to have a group photo taken and they are supposed to arrange themselves in two rows of five. Find the different number of arrangements if the captain must stand between the two youngest players in the same row.

(Group the captain and youngest players together as one unit, 2 ways of arranging youngest players, 8! ways of arranging 8 units.)

But the answer given is 60480. Similar digits, so I was wondering if it's just a printing error? Or am I wrong?

Also, I want to ask: does the fact that they are arranged in two rows affect the number of arrangements? Personally, I don't think so, but I want to check. Thanks.

2. The digits of the number 3215463 are rearranged. If the first and last digits must be different, find how many such numbers must be odd.

My method: find no. of arrangements where last digit is odd (1, 3, 3, 5) and subtract number of arrangements where first and last digits are the same (where number starts with 3 and ends with 3).

Answer = 4C1 X 6! - 5! = 2760.

But the answer given is 1320. Can someone help me out here!

Also, I want to ask - when you have non-distinct entities (in this case 3 and 3) do you still put 4 choose 1 when selecting a last digit that is odd? Because 3 and 3 are essentially identical.

Thanks!

1. In using 8!*2, you included cases where the three could sit in different rows but will be "together" when you flatten 2*5 to 1*10.

2. You counted those ending in 3 twice with (4 choose 1)*6!

Spin(3)&=Sp(1)=SU(2)&&\text{by }q\mapsto(\mathop{\mathrm{Im}}\mathbb{H}\ni p\mapsto qp\bar{q})\\
Spin(4)&=Sp(1)\times Sp(1)&&\text{by }(q_1,q_2)\mapsto(\mathbb{H}\ni p\mapsto q_1p\bar{q_2})\\
Spin(5)&=Sp(2)&&\text{by }\mathbb{HP}^1\cong S^4_{round}\hookrightarrow\mathbb{R}^5\\
Spin(6)&=SU(4)&&\text{by the irrep }\Lambda_+\mathbb{C}^4
\end{aligned}

PostPosted: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:50:34 UTC 

thanks! (:

PostPosted: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:48:49 UTC 
Member of the 'S.O.S. Math' Hall of Fame

Hello, thesocialnetwork!

Quote:
1. There are ten players in a basketball team. The team decides to have a group photo taken
and they are supposed to arrange themselves in two rows of five. Find the different number
of arrangements if the captain must stand between the two youngest players in the same row.

(Group the captain and youngest players together as one unit,
. . 2 ways of arranging youngest players, 8! ways of arranging 8 units.)

But the answer given is 60480.

Your approach is quite good . . .

Let the captain be C.
Let the two youngest players be A and B.

We have: .\boxed{AC\!B} \text{ or }\boxed{BC\!A} . . . . two ways.

This group can be seated in six ways:

\begin{array}{ccccccccc} 
\boxed{\circ\;\circ\;\circ}\;\circ\;\circ &&  \circ\;\boxed{\circ\;\circ\;\circ}\;\circ && \circ\;\circ\;\boxed{\circ\;\circ\;\circ} \\ \circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ &&  \circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ && \circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ \end{array} \quad\;\; \begin{array}{ccccccccc} 
\circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ &&  \circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ && \circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ\;\circ \\ \boxed{\circ\;\circ\;\circ}\;\circ\;\circ &&  \circ\;\boxed{\circ\;\circ\;\circ}\;\circ && \circ\;\circ\;\boxed{\circ\;\circ\;\circ} \end{array}

The remaining players can be seated in 7! ways.

Answer: .2\cdot 6 \cdot 7! \:=\:60,480

PostPosted: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:11:34 UTC 

yes i realized that, i used your approach when i realized my mistake (: thanks for taking the time to list them all out!