S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard

Your Resource for mathematics help on the web!
It is currently Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:15:37 UTC

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 10th Percentile?
PostPosted: Sun, 13 May 2012 15:41:27 UTC 
Offline
Member of the 'S.O.S. Math' Hall of Fame

Joined: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 21:17:02 UTC
Posts: 436
STATISTICS: The interquartile range is given by
IQR = Q3 - Q1, where Q1 is the lower quartile, and it falls above 25% of the data, and Q3 is the upper quartile, and this falls above 75% of the data

To get the quartiles, the easy way is to find the median, and then split the data like that

For example, we have the values:
-17.5, 2.8, 3.2, 13.9, 14.1, 25.3, 45.8

The median is 13.9

Now, we split up the data into two halves from this number, and when the median is odd, we include the median in both halves:


lower half: -17.5, 2.8, 3.2, 13.9
upper half: 13.9, 14.1, 25.3, 45.8

So then, we get the median of the data (ex. lower half) and we will get the quartile (Ex. if we get the median for the lower half of the data, we get the Q1, or lower quartile, or the 25th percentile)

My question is: How would I get the 10th percentile, which is the number that falls above 10% of the data values?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 10th Percentile?
PostPosted: Sun, 13 May 2012 16:00:07 UTC 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:49:32 UTC
Posts: 6782
Location: On this day Taiwan becomes another Tiananmen under Dictator Ma.
A-R-Q wrote:
STATISTICS: The interquartile range is given by
IQR = Q3 - Q1, where Q1 is the lower quartile, and it falls above 25% of the data, and Q3 is the upper quartile, and this falls above 75% of the data

To get the quartiles, the easy way is to find the median, and then split the data like that

For example, we have the values:
-17.5, 2.8, 3.2, 13.9, 14.1, 25.3, 45.8

The median is 13.9

Now, we split up the data into two halves from this number, and when the median is odd, we include the median in both halves:


lower half: -17.5, 2.8, 3.2, 13.9
upper half: 13.9, 14.1, 25.3, 45.8

So then, we get the median of the data (ex. lower half) and we will get the quartile (Ex. if we get the median for the lower half of the data, we get the Q1, or lower quartile, or the 25th percentile)

My question is: How would I get the 10th percentile, which is the number that falls above 10% of the data values?


Linearly interpolate --- -17.5 is 0\%ile, 2.8 is 16\frac{2}{3}\%ile, so 10%ile is ...

_________________
\begin{aligned}
Spin(1)&=O(1)=\mathbb{Z}/2&\quad&\text{and}\\
Spin(2)&=U(1)=SO(2)&&\text{are obvious}\\
Spin(3)&=Sp(1)=SU(2)&&\text{by }q\mapsto(\mathop{\mathrm{Im}}\mathbb{H}\ni p\mapsto qp\bar{q})\\
Spin(4)&=Sp(1)\times Sp(1)&&\text{by }(q_1,q_2)\mapsto(\mathbb{H}\ni p\mapsto q_1p\bar{q_2})\\
Spin(5)&=Sp(2)&&\text{by }\mathbb{HP}^1\cong S^4_{round}\hookrightarrow\mathbb{R}^5\\
Spin(6)&=SU(4)&&\text{by the irrep }\Lambda_+\mathbb{C}^4
\end{aligned}


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 10th Percentile?
PostPosted: Sun, 13 May 2012 16:00:48 UTC 
Offline
Member of the 'S.O.S. Math' Hall of Fame

Joined: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 21:17:02 UTC
Posts: 436
outermeasure wrote:
A-R-Q wrote:
STATISTICS: The interquartile range is given by
IQR = Q3 - Q1, where Q1 is the lower quartile, and it falls above 25% of the data, and Q3 is the upper quartile, and this falls above 75% of the data

To get the quartiles, the easy way is to find the median, and then split the data like that

For example, we have the values:
-17.5, 2.8, 3.2, 13.9, 14.1, 25.3, 45.8

The median is 13.9

Now, we split up the data into two halves from this number, and when the median is odd, we include the median in both halves:


lower half: -17.5, 2.8, 3.2, 13.9
upper half: 13.9, 14.1, 25.3, 45.8

So then, we get the median of the data (ex. lower half) and we will get the quartile (Ex. if we get the median for the lower half of the data, we get the Q1, or lower quartile, or the 25th percentile)

My question is: How would I get the 10th percentile, which is the number that falls above 10% of the data values?


Linearly interpolate --- -17.5 is 0\%ile, 2.8 is 16\frac{2}{3}\%ile, so 10%ile is ...


Ok would I do this by hand or on the computer?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 10th Percentile?
PostPosted: Sun, 13 May 2012 16:50:19 UTC 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:49:32 UTC
Posts: 6782
Location: On this day Taiwan becomes another Tiananmen under Dictator Ma.
A-R-Q wrote:
Ok would I do this by hand or on the computer?


Your choice.

_________________
\begin{aligned}
Spin(1)&=O(1)=\mathbb{Z}/2&\quad&\text{and}\\
Spin(2)&=U(1)=SO(2)&&\text{are obvious}\\
Spin(3)&=Sp(1)=SU(2)&&\text{by }q\mapsto(\mathop{\mathrm{Im}}\mathbb{H}\ni p\mapsto qp\bar{q})\\
Spin(4)&=Sp(1)\times Sp(1)&&\text{by }(q_1,q_2)\mapsto(\mathbb{H}\ni p\mapsto q_1p\bar{q_2})\\
Spin(5)&=Sp(2)&&\text{by }\mathbb{HP}^1\cong S^4_{round}\hookrightarrow\mathbb{R}^5\\
Spin(6)&=SU(4)&&\text{by the irrep }\Lambda_+\mathbb{C}^4
\end{aligned}


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Contact Us | S.O.S. Mathematics Homepage
Privacy Statement | Search the "old" CyberBoard

users online during the last hour
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005-2011 phpBB Group.
Copyright © 1999-2013 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA