MULTIPLICATION: Problem 5
Rule 12: To multiply a whole number and a fraction, complete the following steps.
- Convert the whole number to a fraction. (See Rule 8)
- Multiply the numerators.
- Multiply the denominators.
- Reduce the results. (See Rule 10)
- Factor the product of the numerators.
- Factor the product of the denominators.
- Look for the fractions that have a value of 1.
Problem 5: Reduce .
Answer. The answer is .
Solution. There is an odd number of minus signs, so the answer will be negative. Factor the numerator, factor the denominator, and locate the fraction or fractions with a value of 1.
You can check the solution with your calculator.
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2017 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour