Dividing Simple fractions: Problem 2
Rule 14: To divide one fraction by a second fraction, convert
the problem to multiplication and multiply the two fractions.
- Change the sign to and invert the fraction to the right of the sign.
- Multiply the numerators.
- Multiply the denominators.
- Reduce the results. (See Rule 10)
- Factor the product of the numerators.
- Factor the product of the denominators.
- Look for the fractions that have a value of 1.
Problem 2: Calculate and reduce your answer.
Answer: The answer is 45.
Solution: Change the division sign to multiplication and invert
the fraction to right of the sign.
Multiply the numerators, multiply the denominators, and
leave the product in factored form.
Factor the numerator and the denominator and look for the
fractions that have a value of 1.
Check: Check you answer with your calculator. Calculate 25
divided by 9, 5 divided by 81, and divide the first answer by the
second answer. If the answer is 45, you have worked the problem correctly.
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2018 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour