DIVISION: Example 1
Rule 15: To divide a fraction by a whole number, or a whole
number by a fraction, convert the division process to a multiplication process, and complete the following steps.
- Convert the whole number to a fraction
- Change the to and invert the fraction to the right of the sign.
- Multiply the numerators.
- Multiply the denominators.
- Reduce the results. (See Rule 10)
- Factor the product of the numerators.
- Factor the product of the denominators.
- Look for the fractions that have a value of 1.
Example 1: Multiply
Answer: The answer is 20.
Solution: Convert the 16 to the fraction Now the problem
can be written
Change the division sign to multiplication and invert the
fraction to the right of the sign.
Multiply the numerators and the denominators, but leave them
in factored form.
Factor the numerator and the denominator and look for the fraction whose value is 1.
Check: You can check the answer with your calculator. Calculate 4 divided by 5 and divide the answer into 16. If the result is 20, you have correctly worked this problem.
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2017 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour