DIVISION: Problem 1
Rule 15: To divide a fraction by a whole number, or a whole number
by a fraction, convert the division process to a multiplication process, and complete the following steps.
- Convert the whole number to a fraction
- Change the sign to and invert the fraction to the right of the sign.
- Multiply the numerators.
- Multiply the denominators.
- Reduce the results. (See Rule 10)
- Factor the product of the numerators.
- Factor the product of the denominators.
- Look for the fractions that have a value of 1.
Problem 1: Calculate and reduce your answer.
Answer: The answer is .
Solution: Rewrite 20 as a fraction in the problem.
Convert the problem to multiplication by changing the division sign to multiplication and inverting the fraction to the right of the sign.
Multiply the numerators, multiply the denominators, and
leave the product in factored form.
Factor the numerator, factor the denominator, and locate the
fraction that has a value of 1.
Check: You can check your answer with your calculator. Calculate 10 divided by 8 and divide the result by 20. Now calculate 1 divided by 16. If the two answers are the same, you have correctly worked the problem.
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2018 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour