BUILDING FRACTIONS: Problem 1
- Rule 17:
- To build a fraction is the reverse of reducing the fraction.
Instead of searching for the 1 in a fraction so that you can reduce, you insert a 1 and build.
- Problem 1:
- Create a fraction equivalent to that has a denominator of 35.
- The answer is the fraction .
- Recall that you can multiply any number by 1 without changing the value of the number. (Rule 6). Multiply the fraction by 1.
Recall that 1 has many forms, look for the form of 1 that will result in a denominator of 35.
7 = 35, use the fraction as 1.
Now can be written as .
The product is .
We have created a fraction with a denominator equal to 35 that
is equivalent to the fraction .
- Now prove to yourself with your calculator that your answer is correct. Calculate 2 divided by 5 and calculate 14 divided by 35; both should yield the same answer. If you are correct, the answers are the same (equivalent) and you have successfully built a fraction.
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2019 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour