ADDITION: Example 2
- Rule 18:
- To add fractions, the denominators must be equal.
Complete the following steps to add two fractions.
- Build each fraction so that both denominators are equal.
- Add the numerators of the fractions.
- The denominators will be the denominator of the built-up fractions.
- Reduce the answer.
- Calculate .
- The answer is .
- The denominators are different, so you must build each fraction to a form where they both have the same denominator. Since both 4 and 6 will divide evenly into 12, build both fractions to a denominator of 12.
can now be written .
Add the numerators for the numerator in the answer. 9 + 2
The answer is .
This answer is already reduced, so you can skip step 4.
- You can check the answer with your calculator. Calculate 3 divided by 4, 1 divided by 6, and add the results. Now divide 11 by 12. Both answers should be the same.
If you would like to review another example, click on the word
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2019 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour