ADDITION: Problem 1
- Rule 18:
- To add fractions, the denominators must be equal.
Complete the following steps to add two fractions.
- Build each fraction so that both denominators are equal.
- Add the numerators of the fractions.
- The denominators will be the denominator of the built-up fractions.
- Reduce the answer.
- Problem 1:
- Add the fractions and reduce your answer.
- The answer is .
- The denominators are the same, so you can skip step 1.
Add the numerators for the numerator in the answer. 13 + 9 =
22. The sum of the two fractions is .
Reduce the fraction .
- You can check the answer with your calculator.
Calculate 13 divided by 24, calculate 9 divided by 24, and add the results. Now divide 11 by 12. Both answers should be the same. If you are correct, the answers are the same (equivalent) and you have successfully added two fractions.
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2017 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour