ADDITION: Problem 3
- Rule 18:
- To add fractions, the denominators must be equal. Complete the following steps to add two fractions.
- Build each fraction so that both denominators are equal.
- Add the numerators of the fractions.
- The denominators will be the denominator of the built-up fractions.
- Reduce the answer.
- Problem 3:
- Add the fractions and reduce your answer.
- The answer is .
- The denominators are different, so you must build
each fraction to a form where they both have the same denominator.
Rewrite the problem with both denominators factored.
The common denominator will have to have factors 2, 5, and 7. Build
each fraction so that each denominators has these three factors.
The problem can now be
written in the equivalent form
Reduce the answer.
- Now prove to yourself with your calculator that your answer is
correct. Calculate 7 divided by 10, 3 divided by 14, and add the results. Now divide 32 by 35. Both answers should be the same. If you are correct, the answers are the same (equivalent) and you have successfully added two fractions.
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2017 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour