SUBTRACTION: Problem 5
- Rule 19:
- To subtract, the denominators must be equal. You
essentially following the same steps as in addition.
- Build each fraction so that both denominators are equal.
- Combine the numerators according to the operation of subtraction or additions.
- The denominators will be the denominator of the built-up fractions.
- Reduce the answer.
- Problem 5:
and reduce your answer.
- The answer is .
- Convert the whole number 5 to a fraction and rewrite the
The denominators are different; therefore, the first step is to build the fractions to fractions with common denominators.
20 can be factored as follows: 20 = 4 5 and 24 can
be factored as follows: 24 = 4 6.
Rewrite the fractions where the denominators are in factored form.
It appears that the common denominators must have the factors 4, 5 and 6.
Multiply each fraction by the form of 1 that will yield denominators with the same set of factors. (i.e., you can find each set of factors in the denominator of the answer)
Combine the numerators: 600 - 18 - 5 = 577.
The answer is .
This answer is already reduced so you can skip step 4.
- You can check the answer with your calculator.
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2018 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour