Population Dynamics: Example1
Example: Let P(t) be the population of a certain animal species.
Assume that P(t) satisfies the logistic growth equation
- Is the above differential equation separable?
- Is the differential equation autonomous?
- Is the differential equation linear?
- Without solving the differential equation, give a sketch of
the graph of P(t).
- What is the long-term behavior of the population P(t)?
- Show that the solution is of the form
Find A and B.
Hint: Use the initial condition and the result of 5.
- Where is the solution's inflection point?
Hint: This can be done without using the answer of 6.
- What is special about the growth rate of the population
P(t) at the inflection point (found in 7)?
S.O.S MATHematics home page
Do you need more help? Please post your question on our
S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard.
Copyright © 1999-2017 MathMedics, LLC. All rights reserved.
Math Medics, LLC. - P.O. Box 12395 - El Paso TX 79913 - USA
users online during the last hour